- Aircraft parts
- Steam and gas turbine components
- High heat components
- UNS: ASTM/ASTE 42200
- DIN: 1.4935
- Adaptable to applications where maximum resistance to corrosion is not required.
- Resistant to the corrosive action of the atmosphere, fresh water, steam, and a variety of the milder acids and alkalies.
- Good resistance to destructive scaling or oxidation
- Continuous service at temperatures up to 1250F.
- Temperature will vary with the type of atmosphere, type of construction, and cycle of operation.
- Comparable to 18-8 but easier to machine
- Help avoid galling with sharply ground tools
- Maintain consistent speed and feed
- Turning tools: 8-14° side rake
- Drilling: 140° point
- Threading: grind tools with 10-15° back rake
- Cobalt high-speed tools: turn at 90-120 sfpm, drill at 40-75 sfpm, mill at 70-120 sfpm, ream at 20-60 sfpm, roughing and finishing at 200-400 sfpm
- Initial forging and rolling at 2100° to 2150°F (1149° to 1177°C)
- 1700°F (927°C) minimum to hot work